This year’s VMworld 2014 in the U.S. promised to be a doozy and it certainly succeeded!
Although neither Steve nor I could make it in person this year that didn’t stop us being glued to our Twitter feeds and Blogger-verse to glean every last morsel of information we could get our paws on to bring you this cracking new Podcast Roundup of what we thought were the important take homes from this year’s conference.
As promised here are the show notes so simply download the podcast from here or subscribe to us on iTunes by searching for vNews.
Sit down; Relax and let Steve and I do the conference floor walking whilst you enjoy the spoils!
The General Session on Tuesday with demos of most of the things we will be talking about has been published on YouTube here:
Introducing the VMware EVO Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Solutions
August 25, 2014
Simplivity Converged Infrastructure Adds Cisco UCS
OmniStack Integrated Solution with Cisco UCS empowers you with the following:
- You can set up global VM-centric policies, manage workloads in the federation and automate common tasks. This allows you to be more agile and efficient, and reduces your operational costs. OmniStack’s VM-centric approach shifts policies from underlying hardware components to workloads, enabling greater mobility and agility.
- You gain integrated data protection with VM-level backup policies and WAN-optimized replication to a second site or the cloud for disaster recovery and cost effective, off-site backup.
- OmniStack data virtualization platform manages data segments in 4K to 8K chunks and deduplicates redundant segments before data hits disk, eliminating unnecessary read/write IO. Deduplicating, compressing and optimizing data in real time saves IOPS and capacity on primary storage and throughout the workload’s lifecycle
- ROBO/Multi-Site Central Management Projects – SimpliVity and Cisco enable unified Remote Office/Branch Office Management projects by providing data mobility services and the ability to manage remote OmniStack-powered hyperconverged infrastructure from one location and interface
- All-in-one IT modernization projects for broad sets of applications including mission-critical applications
- Backup, disaster recovery, and business continuity projects
- Data migration, as well as merger and acquisition projects
- Development, test, and QA projects
- Technology refresh projects
vRealize Suite: Managing Your Hybrid Cloud
August 25, 2014
Welcoming A New Member To The VMware Family – CloudVolumes
August 20, 2014
VMware + Containers = Containers without Compromise
August 12, 2014
VMWorld TV Highlights
Jeremy Van Doorn (@JCvanDoorn)
Eric Sloof (@esloof)
- GiveBack raised $250,000 for charity
VMware supporting OpenStack
In the same way RedHat supports Open Source Linux VMware is to support OpenStack on vSphere. VMware will provide packaging of OpenStack
vSphere 6.0 in Beta
….. but should be available next year
- vmtn/vspherebeta – Still under NDA but open Beta
- Content Library which replicates files such as templates and ISOs between vCenters
- vMotion cross vSwitch / Portgroup
- vMotion between vCenters provided they are network accessible. Different everything “vTeleport”
- Long Distance vMotion upto 100ms downtime. SRM still manages DR but this would allow small numbers of VMs dependent on bandwidth
- Web Client optimized especially response times. Now more closely reflects the .NET client.
- .NET client will be updated to manage virtual hardware version 10
- FT now supports upto 4vCPUs. Instantaneous failover now possible.
- vVols extended to use external drive pools. All vendors supporting EMC; NetApp; IBM; HP; Dell; etc
Do you have a highlight from VMworld? Let us know in the comments section below and we will try to spotlight it in upcoming editions of the podcast.