I have written a short list of challenges I had when installing the VMware vSphere vCenter 5.1 server. It’s not an exhaustive list but just a short list that may help some in the future!
Before you start:
- Create vSphere database
- Create Single Sign On (SSO) database and read the guide for the requirement
- Create the two SQL users (user & DBA) for access to the SSO database and give appropriate permissions.
- Run the SQL scripts from the install media that create the required tables
- Make sure you DNS is working and don’t forget reverse DNS too!!!!
- Setup the 64-bit DNS using the SQL Native Client BEFORE you start the install process. If you get to the part where is asks for the DSN and then you create, it won’t find it until you restart the installation process.
- Start the media install but don’t run the install all option
- Install SSO first (Chose multi-site or cluster Basic does not let you use linked mode in the future)
- Have a master admin password ready for SSO admin account.
- If its the first install then choose primary but for all others choose secondary.
- Make sure the latest version of Java is installed
- You can administer SSO via the web console.
- No one by default has access to vcenter except the admin account created in the install phase.
Just a short list but I hope some people find this useful.